Monday, October 16, 2006

 

Monday Notes

There's very little news out there. Most of the news deals with the two incidents I linked to on Sunday morning: Hicks being pulled back from the crowd and Brandon Carter spitting on some fans. I really don't know what to think about Carter other than he's a RS freshman, however, we now have two incidents where Tech players are reacting to fans way too much.

The only real article is from the LAJ, and Leach emphasizes that he has not given up on this team. This is really a time where Leach shines. As I said before, I think Leach is pretty damn intelligent and he knows that with young players he only had one bite at the apple and that was against TCU. He has not given up on the team and I'm not surprised. Previously, when Texas Tech had little to no talent, Tech won and it shouldn't be any different now. Leach knows that empowering this team a little bit certainly can't help and I think that his belief that there's a lot of games left to play should not be lost on this team.

I've thought about this often, but for whatever reason, I think there are some real talent issues here. Not necessarily with the offense (I think their problems are because of chemistry), but with the defense. Any division I team should be able to hold an opponent for less than 200 yards rushing. I said early in the year that I thought that Tech seemed more athletic on defense early in the year, and it appeared that Tech was rotating more players. I still believe those to a point, but there does not appear to be any difference makers on this team and we're at least one or two special players away from making a difference on offense.

The other killer is turnovers. You just can't expect to win with so many turnovers without the defense creating some as well. I think we very well know that Harrell is the main culprit here and he's got to cut down on the fumbles and interceptions for Tech to have a shot a winning games. This is a reasonable request. I really think that the game is going to slow down for him at some point during the year. Let's just hope that it happens sooner than later.

Iowa State is next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home