Sunday, September 17, 2006

 

Texas Tech 3 TCU 12

Ugh. What a horrible loss. Tech did one-half of what I thought might happen in the game. I thought that the Tech defense would come up with enough stops to come away with a win. Unfortunately, I did not predict complete and total ineptitude from Texas Tech's offense. It wasn't just one thing, it seemed to be a number of things that went wrong. Johnson and Filani couldn't catch. That's a huge problem. Harrell could not keep the defense honest, and at times the strong safety was in the box, leaving the middle of the field completely wide open for someone to make a play. In other words TCU knew that Tech would not go deep and they gambled on getting pressure on Harrell would result in poor decisions. Not necessarily decisions that resulted in turnovers, but decisions that resulted in negative to little yardage gains. I really wanted to see crossing routes over the middle or a deep corner route, but instead merely got sideline outs with little or no gain.

I'm beginning to wonder the long-term effect of Hick's absence due to the NCAA. He could have cleared up a number of these items as I believe him to be more surehanded than not and has the ability to stretch the defense a little more than Filani and Johnson.

Checklist for new recruit: speed receiver who can stretch the field.

The defense played surprisingly well, as I've said before, I believe that Tech's defense is much improved, we seem to be bigger and faster on all fronts. I really have no complaint with the method in which the defense played.

I thought the defense played really well, despite the fact that Kellen Tillman made one of the dumbest plays I've ever witnessed, he intentionally gave what looked to be a forearm shiver to a TCU player going out of bounds. I thought he deserved to be thrown out of the game, classless act.

Louis Vasquez was injured and that may have precipitated quite a few of our problems on offense, from a protection standpoint, but I certainly doubt that this was the major cause for the offensive woes.

Here are the game recaps:
DMN
Yahoo
EN
AJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home