Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

That Was A Shocker

I cannot believe that game. Completely shocked by a number of things, including the outcome. Let's get to the things that I liked as I watched the game, things I didn't like and finally links to game stories.

Liked:
  1. I like Filani's play. It seems to be Tech's m.o. to have one receiver really step up and he did. Johnson' played well too, but most of his big plays were called back (i.e. two touchdowns).
  2. The defensive line seemed to play decent, but if Tech only rushed 4, they were not going to get to the quarterback. They needed that extra push from another blitzer.
  3. Happy to see every kickoff in the endzone. Some NFL team will appreciate that.
  4. Harrell was okay, but not great. Once again, he didn't seem to force things, which can be both a blessing and a curse. Beautiful touch on the fade route to Johnson and Filani. I'd like to see Amendola get more involved.
  5. Offensive line provided decent protection. Didn't really seem like Harrell was being harassed much.
  6. Woods was really good, runs hard, which is the one thing I look for in a running back.
  7. The defense looks bigger and faster.
Don't Like:
  1. Too many costly penalties. I think Tech was given a few penalties on UTEP's pass interference.
  2. Overall the defense was giving up too much. They play the spread every day in practice and they couldn't seem to stop it. UTEP had two wideouts with some talent, Higgins and Sam. You would think that keying on them was a priority, but it didn't seem to be throughout the entire game.
  3. The "give but don't break" defense played at the end of the 2nd quarter and 4th quarter was horrible. I'd rather Tech just line it up and make an attempt to keep the opponent out of the endzone rather than simply let them walk in.
I continually shook my head in disbelief the entire game. I initially thought that there's really no way that UTEP should be able to compete. Palmer seems like an average QB at best, he seemed capable only making the short throws and nothing else. Anything deep was not even close. He's not a quarterback that should beat Tech. Aside from two plays that just made us look foolish, the WR pass and the onside kick, Tech really seemed to be in control of the game. I like that Harrell didn't seem to be affected by all of the pressure

Trlica really seemed to take those field goals he missed personally. On some level I really like that, but on other, I really need him not to be so affected by a missed field goal.

I hated their uniforms, and according to RedRaider, they were supposed to have been in all white except for the helmet, which would have looked much better. The three color look is not a good look and seems very high school.

I will be at the game next week, but I really need for that defense to come together and I need the NCAA to decide on Hicks' fate. I thought that Tech could have used him, if nothing else as a threat opposite Filani and Johnson.

I believe that having these big receivers help tremendously with yards after catch. I love the Welker's and Walker's of the world, but having a big powerful receiver is an incredible weapon and can be a tremendous threat.

Yahoo's game recap from the AP that has some nice quotes from Trlica.

Whitmore at DMN was obviously up against a deadline and there are no quotes, but a good article nonetheless, detailing the insanity of that 3rd and 4th quarter as well as the OT.

The Avalanche-Journal has an article giving some praise to Price's offensive play calling.

Just consider yourself lucky on this one and hope that Tech is a little more focused against TCU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home