Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

Wednesday Notes

I jinxed myself, or more likely, the press conferences were yesterday and reporters are out of ideas today, thus we are left with very few links.

The DMN has their daily article and it follows along much of what was discussed yesterday, that Leach has inspired/convinced/demanded this team to be more cohesive, which I still maintain, whether Leach forced or not, is a good thing.

The lone article from the LAJ is about Colt McCoy. That's not exactly covering Texas Tech football.

Finally, a new article on Leach's actions and reactions this year in relation to the various wins and losses.

As I continue in my quest to become a better writer and my need to have a little more content for this weekend's game, let's breakdown the Texas Tech defense versus the UT offense.
  • As I said yesterday, the Tech defense has got to step up. Our linebackers will be heavily counted on to stop the run. Tech has not been very successful throughout the year, granted last week was a good week, but the ISU offense is not that great.
  • Colt McCoy is the definition of letting his team do all of the heavy lifting. He has not been asked to change the game and he hasn't tried to do so. He's merely done what's been asked of him. Manage the game, let the game come to you. I was able to watch quite a bit of the UT game last week and it's apparent that he can be prone to mistake, like a lot of young quarterbacks can be, but he doesn't make the devastating mistake (two interceptions in a row within your own 20 to be returned for touchdowns). That's all you can ask of a quarterback.
  • Sweed scares me. He's big and fast and that's a bad combination for any team.
  • UT is deep at running back, but neither of their main running backs are that big. They are the same type of running back.
  • Teams have not thrown on Tech because they really haven't needed to. The lack of proper tackling (I can't believe I'm typing that) has lead to lots of other problems, but it has mainly led to Tech being unable to contain certain offices.
  • Ideally, I'd love to see Tech's somewhat deep defensive line can control the line of scrimmage and the running lanes, allow the defensive backfield to cover the Texas wide receivers. All of this depends on the linebackers doing their jobs. Making tackles and dropping into coverage.
  • I don't think that this game hinges on the Tech defense, but rather turns on whether or not the Tech offense can control the clock to allow the Tech defense to remain fresh throughout the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home