Saturday, October 28, 2006

 

Saturday Morning Preview - UT v. Texas Tech

Because I missed yesterday I'm attempting to make up some ground with some articles from Friday and all of the previews.

There was a UT v. Tech preview in the USA Today.

Suzanne Halliburton of the Statesman discusses the history between Tech and Texas and the last UT loss was in Lubbock against Tech in 2002. The similarities are a little scary: UT played Nebraska the week before in 2002 and this year and at one point during the UT/Tech game, UT had 8 freshman playing.

A nice preview article from the AP over on Yahoo. Tech says they're more relaxed after last week, we'll see.

Zach Thomas, Wes Welker, and Miami DE, Jason Taylor, all plan to be in town for the game. We so rarely hear about former players coming to the game, but this could be exactly what Tech needs, motivation. I.e., if you work hard you can have this.

This RedRaiders notebook details who might start in place of Vasquez, who still may be injured and further notes the progress of some freshmen linemen. A Tale of the Tape from RedRaiders (honestly, there's nothing special here, other than commenting on each position.)

If I've already posted this article I apologize, but John Miller from the FWST details some of the history between Tech and UT.

DMN's Chip Brown has a preview and an article about today's game and predicts a 31-21 Texas victory.

The Houston Chronicle has a preview here.

Tim Griffin of the EN predicts a Texas 38, Tech 20 victory for Texas. Jeff McDonald goes into some detail about today's game, once again, in injuries for Texas are not an excuse.

Texas Tech's Offense v. Texas' Defense:
  • This one is all about turnovers for Tech. Harrell must not fumble or throw away this game, literally. I really believe that his game management will turn this game one way or the other.
  • I'm really curious to see how the Tech offensive linemen will match up the more highly recruited Texas players.
  • Shannon Woods can change the face of this game, he's not Taurean Henderson, yet, but he's pretty darn close. He catches almost everything thrown his way and he's got a really nice burst out of the backfield. He will be a valuable outlet for Harrell if the pressure gets to Harrell.
  • I believe that utilizing Hicks as a deep threat will be invaluable. Just let him run and throw the ball to him. Tech must make an attempt to stretch the field and Hicks or L.A. Reed seem to be our best option.
  • Let's hope the size of our WR's bothers UT's secondary and the speed of Woods bothers their linebackers.
My final prediction: I'm torn. On one hand I read everything about the similarities between this year and 2006. On paper, I believe that Texas is just a more dominant team, obviously, and it would be an incredible upset if Tech was able to pull out a victory. My heart tells me to go with Tech, be a homer, and take a chance. My mind tells me that Tech will make it close, but UT is the better team. To heck with my mind. Texas Tech 34 Texas 28.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home